Books and Typewriters is a weblog that is edited by moi, Faisel, philanthropist, art lover, Austrian Pinot Noir wine enthusiast, future author, armchair traveller, avid book reader, world citizen—a lover of cheesecake. I’m an individual that tries to be an English gentleman, despite having picked up an American accent through television. I’m currently residing in the land of the Vikings: Denmark—a country infamous for having the world’s highest tax rates, while coincidentally being rated the world’s most happiest place. I’m passionate about Danish Design, Royal Copenhagen Porcelain, Georg Jensen, Arne Jacobsen, Verner Panton, and Bang and Olufsen. Sometimes I build LEGO. Denmark is a wonderful place in summer for about three days—not so rest of the year where it’s cold and rainy.
The aim of the this weblog is to collect diverse thoughts about books, typewriters, crazy ramblings, technology, and sometimes the law.
Affiliates and Deals
Books and Typewriters posts contain affiliate links to The Book Depository. Why? Three words: free worldwide shipping. So please consider supporting my website by using the Buy Now buttons to buy your books from The Book Depository. I receive a small commission from every referred purchase.
21 Things About Me:
- I lost faith in everything and then went to law school. No, serious!
- I try to avoid Facebook as much as possible.
- I have to visit a bookstore before anything else and often plan travel to that effect.
- I’m an avid fine press book collector.
- I’m a Mac user.
- I like Puccini’s opera.
- I listen to Beethoven in the morning whilst driving.
- I fly to London just to visit a bookstore or museum exhibitions every year.
- My favourite painting is Almond Branches in Bloom by Vincent van Gogh.
- Toilet paper is the best invention ever!
- I’m a fan of Eames Lounge Chair and Mies van der Rohe’s Barcelona chair.
- I despise loud cellphone users.
- I don’t believe in love at first sight.
- I believe in eclectic, simplistic yet elegant interior design.
- I prefer phone calls over text messages.
- Music in the 80s makes up a huge chunk of my iPod.
- I try to avoid people who smoke.
- I pick up foreign languages easily.
- I love the sounds high-heels make.
- I’ve watched Soderbergh’s 2002 Solaris remake a hundred times. The soundtrack is amazing.
- I snowboard.
I’m very enthusiastic about Librarything.com and have been a member since 2009. I’m a member of the Folio Society Devotees’ Group and very active on a daily basis in the discussions that follow. At Librarything.com I’ve catalogued all the books that I own, and would like to own (wishlist). My comments section under my catalogue contain in-depth information about a given title. You can check my profile here and my catalogue here.
I own a lot of books, mostly non-fiction in the form of biographies and history; I also have a selection of law books and fiction. I’m a collector of fine editions because I believe life is too short to read on crappy paper: thus I don’t buy paperbacks.
I’m a reader first, collector second, and I try to read all the books I collect. I don’t try to establish an association with any layperson that asks the following question, upon gazing at my library (that I christened my reading sanctuary): “have you read all these books?”
My primary collecting interests are in fine editions, books from The Folio Society, Franklin Library, and The Limited Editions Club.